Saturday, January 10, 2015

I'm Not A Powerlifter, Yet.

I was talking with one of the trainers at the gym a while back and he asked me if I was a power lifter.  It wasn't because I was handling big weights but because of how I train.  I gave up on high rep work many years ago and learned to enjoy training in a much lower rep range.  I train like a power lifter in how I set up my gym sessions and the type of movements and equipment I use.

But the truth is I am not a power lifter.  Until I compete I simply train like one.  I also think that if you are a body builder or even a crossfitter unless you complete you are just working out like one.

So my decision for this year is to step onto the platform.  Given my size and age I am assured to be completely embarrassed by how weak I really am but I need to do this.  It's not enough to just train like one, I must compete like one.

This idea has also given me some other ideas.  How many men write about taking the red pill, like how I train, but never take the the final step that is needed to really be someone who has taken it.  It's not enough to just say I took it, I must compete and show what I have done.

The real question for me now is what to do.

That brings me to an article that was posted on the Art of Manliness site.

A Roadmap To Manhood In The 21st Century

If you hang out in the Man-O-Sphere long enough you will start to believe that the entire purpose of the Red Pill is for men to have for sex.  That seems to always come across as the driving force behind everyone who starts this journey.  I can be honest and say I was no different when I started.  But once I came to realize that my physical relationship with my wife was over I had no where else to focus.

Now I do.  The article is a long read and I am still getting thru it but at a high level it goes over steps needed to reclaim ones manhood.  Not just improve your sex life but improve your entire self as a man.

One of the more interesting ideas presented in it are the three P's of manhood.  Provide, Protect, Procreate.  Moving forward I will focus more on the other 2 since procreate isn't something I can do anymore (got snipped many years ago).

For me the point of all this is to focus on being a man and not just being a penis looking for a place to be.  I don't think this really changes my path forward, but I will be looking beyond just improving the way I look and try and focus on what really makes us men.

It's an interesting question and one I think I will enjoy exploring and trying to answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment